Staff Throwback Thursday
Welcome to our weekly feature — Staff Throwback Thursday! In this feature we’ll be checking in with employees who have worked at Parkwest for more than twenty years! We hope you enjoy learning more about our long-term employees!
Martha Aiken, Department of Clinical Effectiveness, RN Case Manager
- How long have you worked at Parkwest? I have been employed at Parkwest since June 6, 1974. Almost 45 years.
- Started as a staff nurse on 3-11 shift on the old 2 west, and then went to day shift on the same unit.
- Nurse manager for 16 years, most of those on the orthopedic floor.
- In the early 1990s Dr. Cates came to Parkwest and then the Joint Replacement Center opened and became the nurse educator for that program.
- In the mid-1990s became a case manager, and still hold that position today.
- Holds a bachelors and master’s degree from the University of Tennessee, and a hold certifications in case management and legal nurse consulting.
- How much has the hospital grown or changed since you were hired? We began as a very small “motel-like” hospital and have grown to a large, successful, well-respected facility that is a part of a large hospital system. We are not the “family like” facility from the early years, but considering how healthcare has expanded, still have an atmosphere of caring.
- What’s your favorite memory of working at Parkwest? There are many memories. Guess what I treasure most are the friendships I have developed with many co-workers and patients that remain today. I worked with Pat Baker for over 40 years and that is a memory I will always treasure. We are still good friends today.
- What’s kept you at Parkwest over 20 years? Is Parkwest perfect – No! I can say Parkwest has been a great pace for me during my career. I have felt nurtured, respected and encouraged by those many people I have been led by and worked with for many years.